Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Show & Tell


Today I sat in on my 3 yr. old's Show & Tell at school. She brought in some oyster shells that she found on the beach while we were in Maine this weekend. She was very excited to tell her classmates about them and hand them around for them to hold, after admonishing them that "they are very fragile." She's not shy and she was very pleased to answer questions about her objects.

Unfortunately, I could not seem to keep my mouth closed. I meant to just stand by and let her do her thing, but somehow I ended up answering some of the questions her teacher and her friends asked. There's nothing really wrong with that. I didn't take over or anything. It's just not what I intended to do. I intended to smile and nod if she needed reassurance, but let her have her moment all to herself.

I think part of the problem is that when you have a baby you have to do literally everything for him/her, and so as they start to grow-up into little individuals separate from you it's hard to know how much help to give them. You don't want to end up doing laundry for your 50 yr. old son (like my grandma did) but you want them to know you are there if they need you.

Having children has made me more understanding about my parents total lack of boundaries with my sister and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment